How are electric shocks diagnosed?

How are electric shocks diagnosed?

What are the symptoms of an electric shock?

  1. loss of consciousness.
  2. muscle spasms.
  3. numbness or tingling.
  4. breathing problems.
  5. headache.
  6. problems with vision or hearing.
  7. burns.
  8. seizures.

What is a symptom commonly caused by electric shocks?

People who receive an electric shock often get painful muscle spasms that can be strong enough to break bones or dislocate joints. This loss of muscle control often means the person cannot ‘let go’ or escape the electric shock.

What is the most common electrical shock injury?

Electrical burns are the most common shock-related, nonfatal injury. They occur when a worker contacts energized electrical wiring or equipment. Although electrical burns can occur anywhere on the body, they most often occur on the hands and feet.

What are the 2 kinds of electrical shock?

The two types of electric hazards are thermal (excessive power) and shock (current through a person). Shock severity is determined by current, path, duration, and AC frequency. Table 1 lists shock hazards as a function of current.

What are the 5 types of electrical incidents?

That being said, there are six main types of electrical burns: arc burns, low voltage burns, high voltage burns, oral burns, flash burns, and flame burns.

How do you treat shocks at home?

Keep the person still and don’t move him or her unless necessary. Begin CPR if the person shows no signs of life, such as not breathing, coughing or moving. Loosen tight clothing and, if needed, cover the person with a blanket to prevent chilling. Don’t let the person eat or drink anything.

What is the treatment for electric shock?

Treatment of electric shock depends on the severity of the burns or the nature of other injuries found. Burns are treated according to severity. Minor burns may be treated with topical antibiotic ointment and dressings. More severe burns may require surgery to clean the wounds or even skin grafting.

What are the symptoms of electric shock?


  • Difficulties in breathing or no breathing at all
  • A weak,erratic pulse or no pulse at all
  • Burns,particularly entrance and exit burns (where the electricity entered and left the body).
  • What to do after electric shock?

    Turn off the source of electricity,if possible. If not,move the source away from you and the person,using a dry,nonconducting object made of cardboard,plastic or wood.

  • Begin CPR if the person shows no signs of circulation,such as breathing,coughing or movement.
  • Try to prevent the injured person from becoming chilled.
  • Apply a bandage.
  • What causes electric shock?

    Electric shocks are caused by the passage of electric current through the body. They are caused in infants and young children by their playing with electrical appliances or cords and in older children by mischievous exploration of electrical systems or use of faulty electrical appliances or tools.